Friday, November 5, 2010

Homemade Dog Bones


When the time comes for Christmas gift giving, I have a hard time. One of my favorite gifts to give are these dog bones. The first time I gave the bones I put the bones in personalized containers. I used old oatmeal and hot chocolate cardboard tube containers. I made labels and included the cutest picture of my dog ever. My dog generally turns her nose up at store bought biscuits, but she gobbles these right up.

Cheesy Peanut Butter Dog Bones
1 cup of Oatmeal
1/4 cup of Margarine/butter
1.5 cups of hot water
1 cup of shredded cheese
1 beaten egg
1 cup of cornmeal
1 cup of wheat germ
3 cups of flour (white or wheat)
1 cup of peanut butter (creamy or chunky)

Directions:
1. In a large bowl pour hot water over oatmeal and margarine. Let stand 5 minutes.
2. Stir in peanut butter, cheese, egg, cornmeal, and wheat germ.
3. Add flour.
4. Knead by hand for 3-4 minutes.
5. Roll dough to 1/2 inch thick and cut into dog bone shapes, sticks, or use cookie cutter.
6. Place on greased cookie sheet and place in oven at 300 degrees for 30-45 minutes until golden brown.
7. Turn off oven, but leave bones in oven to continue baking. Cool and place in container.
8. Store bones in cool place or refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for looking! All feedback is loved be it positive, negative, and anywhere in between.