Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Dehydrated Apples


Earlier this fall I picked a ton of apples off of my neighbor's tree.  He was just going to throw them out since there were way more than he wanted.  After some research we decided that most likely it was a yellow delicious variety and they were really clean.  There were some spots from Asian Beetles, but I didn't find any worms at all.  Well, after freezing 4 bags of sliced apples for future pies, 3 pies, and a crisp I needed to use up the apples without going into a diabetic coma, so I decided to make some dried apples.  I googled it of course and it was recommended to use a food dehydrator because it would be  more energy efficient, but I didn't have one so I used my oven.   It took me about 6 hours from start to finish and I devoured all the dried apples within 3 days.  Yum.  Here's how I did it:

 1.  This nifty contraption is a life saver.  It peels, cores and slices the apples all at once.  It looks like a torture machine but was a great present from my dad a few years ago.  So I sliced and peeled the apples then placed them in a bowl with lemon water to prevent browning.









2.  I placed them on cookies sheets and sprinkled them with cinnamon.  There were a lot of variations from putting jello on to sugar, but they are delicious just with cinnamon. 












3.  Then I put them in my oven set at 150 or so with the door open.  I revolved the pans of apples around the oven and flipped the apples about every half hour. 












4.  It took my apples probably about 3 hours to get fully dehydrated.  They are done when they are bendy like leather but don't have moisture beads in them when they are torn. I stored mine in a bowl and as I said they were gone within a few days-but they should keep for several months if stored in a sealed container in a dry, cool place. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for looking! All feedback is loved be it positive, negative, and anywhere in between.