Tuesday, July 5, 2011

4th of July Weekend

Colby had a great 4th of July-and a red white and blue outfit to boot:

For the 4th we took the 4 and a half hour journey over to South Dakota to my in laws.  In general this drive is most miserable because it is on two lane highways that weave through small towns and they carry a lot of farm traffic and I'm always hesitant to pass these people.  Traveling with our dog and child we had to make a few stops to stretch and feed him.  When we started off it was 99 degrees out with clear blue skies.  With about an hour left of our journey the skies turned greenish yellow, the wind picked up and then it started to down pour.  We got a mile out of a very small town when my husband and I made the decision to turn back into town to find somewhere safe to hide out.  We had just pulled into the downtown area when the tornado sirens started going off.  We saw some lights on at a pharmacy so I told my husband we should go there.  I got Colby out of the car in his car seat and ran to the buildings and saw some other people in a hair salon walking so I darted in there to see if they'd let us bring our dog in and down stairs.  Of course, being the polite Minnesotans that they were they said of course, I stepped out to tell my husband and I couldn't find him.  Colby and I hunkered down in a dank stonewalled basement with another couple.  The electricity flickered off and we were left in the dark.  Luckily Colby was a trooper and he was content trying to eat his stuffed dog.  When we finally emerged from the basement my husband and do walked in the door and our family was reunited again.  He had went into the pharmacy and got ushered to the back of the store where he thought he'd find me waiting-and he said he was extremely disheartened and nervous when I was nowhere to be found.  We finally made our way  back out to our car and back on the road.  Most of the streets were flooded and we drove by several trees split in half our uprooted.  Luckily the rest of our journey was uneventful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for looking! All feedback is loved be it positive, negative, and anywhere in between.