Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Grandma Margaret's Orange Drop Cookie Recipe

This was another first try at cookies from my Grandma.  I have a terrible time actually following recipes precisely and I usually switch things up so a recipe never turns out the same twice.  For the frosting I used butter instead of Crisco and then added a teaspoon of orange extract for more orange flavor.  When I make them next time I'm going to see what happens when I use butter instead of crisco in the cookies and I will use the extract in the cookies as well so they have a stronger orange flavor.  My husband likened them to soft animal crackers-a compliment, I think.  Enjoy.


Ingredients for the cookies
1/2 cup of Crisco
1 cup of sugar
2 eggs
1 Tablespoon of orange zest
1/2 cup of orange juice
2 1/2 cups of flour
1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of salt

Directions:  Preheat oven to 375.  Mix Crisco, sugar, salt, eggs, orange zest, orange juice.  Stir in flour and baking powder.  Drop by spoonful onto greased cookie sheets.  Bake 15-20 minutes until lightly browned. 

Frosting:
1 Tablespoon of Crisco
1/2 cup of orange juice
1 cup of powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon of salt

Directions:  Mix all together until smooth and frost cookies while still slightly warm if desired. 

***lemonade and lemon zest can be exchanged for the orange juice if desired***

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for looking! All feedback is loved be it positive, negative, and anywhere in between.