Monday, January 2, 2012

Grandma Margaret's Cherry Wink Recipe

Yum, so my intentions this year were to make a bunch of cookie recipes from my Grandma's collection-unfortunately this did not come into fruition.  I finally made these cookies that I remember as a child-not very fondly though.  Now I find these cookies to be a welcome change from the tedium of chocolate and sugar cookie varieties.  The cookies have a crisp chewy texture with the corn flakes and dates along with the holiday appeal of a split maraschino cherry on top.  I put these cookies in the chest freezer with have downstairs thinking that they would last longer, but I find myself making special trips just so I can nab a cookie-hmm-might have to go check the laundry again...yum. 
 

2 1/4 cups of flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup of Crisco
1 cup of white sugar
2 eggs
2 T. milk
1 tsp of vanilla or almond extract
1 c chopped pecans
1/3 cup of maraschino cherries chopped
2 1/2 cups of corn flakes crushed
2/3 cup of maraschino cherries halved

Directions
Heat oven to 375.  Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.  Cream together shortening and sugar.  Blend in eggs.  Add milk and flavoring.  Blend in sifted ingredients.  Add pecans, dates and chopped cherries.  Shape into balls and roll each in corn flakes and top each with half of a cherry.  Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.  Makes 5 dozen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for looking! All feedback is loved be it positive, negative, and anywhere in between.