Thursday, October 13, 2011

Once a Month Cooking

I bought this cookbook because I needed to spend five more dollars to get free shipping so I ended up with this gem.  I had heard about once a month cooking and it perplexed me.  Would it save me time?  Money?  Energy?  I tried it last month and I don't think it saved any money or time.  I still had to use the oven or crock pot most days and instead of buying groceries once every week I did one big shop and still had to go back every week for lunch meat and milk.  What  I do enjoy about this method is the variety.  We commonly get in a rut of tacos, spaghetti, and grilled chicken so having new recipes to try out is thrilling in its own respect.  I was dissappointed in the quality of revisions of the cookbook.  Some recipes are vague and contradictory.  One calls for cooked cubed chicken in the ingredient list and then in the directions it says to cook it.  Here's our menu for two weeks that pretty much lasted a month for us.

Herbed Chicken:  Chicken with cream of mushroom soup baked in oven
Pot Roast:  Pot roast in crock pot
Chicken Nuggets:  Delicious!  Chicken strips dipped in bread crumbs
Playoff Burgers:  Burgers with cheese and onion
Farmer's Casserole:  Eggs, potatoes, ham, onion, and green pepper
Poppy Beef:  Strange but good.  Hamburger with linguine coated in cheese
Chicken Tacos:  Chicken mixed with taco seasoning in crock pot
Mexican Lasagna:  Chicken, beans, lasagna noodles baked
Corn Soup:  Tasty spicy corn soup

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for looking! All feedback is loved be it positive, negative, and anywhere in between.