Friday, May 27, 2011

How to Make Storage Boxes

As I mentioned earlier we went to IKEA and purchased a large entertainment center which had cubbies that needed baskets.  I went to Target to try and find some big baskets that would fit, but there weren't any that were big enough, and I'm not willing to run out to IKEA just yet as I'm still in a bit of a shock.  I then set out to make some customized baskets/boxes that would also add some color and pizazz.  I didn't have to buy anything so these boxes were virtually free.  Here's the final product:
What you need:
  • Cardboard
  • Wide Tape
  • Exacto Knife
  • Measuring device or square
  • Fabric for inside and out
  • Thread
  • Needle
  • Sewing Machine
Step 1:  Measure how big you want your box to be and cut out sizes from cardboard.

Step 2:  Tape the card board together to the base and use as a pattern to cut out the fabric. I added about 1/2 an inch for my seam allowance.  Cut out the inside and outside fabric for the box.

Step 3:  Sew edges of fabric together to form the shape of a box.  Then tape together box and put fabric on.  At this point I noted if I needed to make the fabric more snug to the box and took in the seams.  (To do this put the fabric on the box inside out and then pin the seams and take off and sew)


Step 4:  Place both the inside and outer fabrics on box.  Pin the tops together but leave one side open so you can remove the fabric from the box and sew with machine. 



Step 5:  Once you have sewn the two pieces together place back on box right side out.  Using clips I held the fabric where I wanted it and used an invisible stitch and sewed the last seam. 




 Now you have a great fabric box.  I'm planning on using some modge podge to make the inside of my box a bit sturdier.  On the next box I am making I used a double layer of cardboard to make it more sturdy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for looking! All feedback is loved be it positive, negative, and anywhere in between.